Introduction to Pharmacology-Course Requirements & Syllabus
What's in a Pharmacology Course?
The successful student will be able to:
- Explain the responsibilities of the medical assistant regarding medication administration and the conditions under which a medical assistant may administer medication.
- Understand the legal and ethical implications associated with controlled substances and prescription pads including the role of the FDA, function of the Drug Enforcement Administration, and purpose of the Controlled Substance Act.
- Apply accurate medical terminology related to pharmacology and administration of medication.
- Calculate doses accurately for oral and parenteral medications.
- Interpret and document medication orders, including the parts of a prescription.
- Identify classifications of drugs, factors that affect drug action, and the undesirable actions of given drugs.
- Determine classification and application of routes of administration for oral and parenteral medications in relation to the target effect.
- Demonstrate an understanding of medical recordkeeping, storage, safety, and quality assurance related to medications dispensed in the medical office.