Nutrition is the total of processes involved in taking in and using food substances for proper growth, functioning, and maintenance of health. More and more evidence points to the fact that nutrition plays a role in many disease states and that in many cases proper nutrition has the potential to help prevent or delay the onset of certain diseases. In short, nutrition plays a role directly or indirectly in all body processes. Because you are the most directly involved with the patient, the patient looks to you as a source of health information. Therefore you need to have a basic knowledge of nutrition.
After completing this module students will be able to:
- Apply principles of nutrition
- Assist patient with and maintain therapeutic diets.
- List factors which must be considered when purchasing food.
- List factors which must be considered when storing food safely.
- Identify methods of safe food preparation.
Readings and Resources
Please complete the following:
Chapter 21 Basic Nutrition and Nutrition Therapy, pp. 604 – 653
deWit, Susan C. Fundamental Concepts and Skills for Nursing
- Complete Readings and Resources
- Complete Assignment - Nutrition
- Complete Exam - Nutrition