Integumentary System and Body Membranes, Skeletal and Muscular Systems
This module covers the Integumentary System and Body Membranes, Skeletal and Muscular Systems.
In the Integumentary students will learn about the structure and function of the skin and the appendages of the skin such as hair, nails, receptors and skin glands.
In the skeletal system, the students will have the opportunity to learn about the generalized functions and growth of the skeletal system. Students will be introduced to the major anatomical structures of long bones, along with the microscopic structure of bones and cartilage.
The muscular system, will focus on the body’s muscular system, including the three major types of muscle tissue and the names, locations, functions, and movements of the major muscle groups. It will also include information about the microscopic structure of a skeletal muscle sarcomere and motor unit, and compare the major types of skeletal muscle contractions.
Upon completion of this module, the student will be able to:
- Classify, compare the structure of, and give examples of each type of body membrane.
- Describe the structure and function of the epidermis and dermis.
- List and briefly describe each accessory organ of the skin.
- List and discuss the three primary functions of the integumentary system.
- Classify burns and describe how to estimate the extent of a burn injury.
- List and discuss the generalized functions of the skeletal system.
- Identify the major anatomical structures found in a typical long bone.
- Discuss the microscopic structure of bone and cartilage, including the identification of specific cell types and structural features.
- Explain how bones are formed, how they grow, and how they are remodeled.
- Identify the two major subdivisions of the skeleton and list the bones found in each area.
- List and compare the major types of joints in the body and give an example of each.
- List, locate in the body, and compare the structure and function of the three major types of muscle tissue.
- Discuss the microscopic structure of a skeletal muscle sarcomere and motor unit.
Readings and Resources
Chapters 5, 6, and 7, Thibodeau, Gary Structure and Function of the Body14th ed.2012. Elsevier Mosby. St. Louis
- Listen to audio reviews (chapters 5, 6,&7) on
- Review videos on Integumentary System Structure and Function, Skeletal and Muscular Systems.
Review terms on http://freenursetutor.com/ (Integumentary, Skeletal, & Muscular Systems).
- Complete readings and viewing of videos
- Complete Assignment - Integumentary System and Body Membranes, Skeletal, and Muscular Systems
- Complete Exam - Integumentary System and Body Membranes, Skeletal, and Muscular Systems