Respiratory System and Acid-Base Balance
This module covers the Respiratory System and Acid-Base Balance.
In the respiratory system; students will have the opportunity to learn the generalized functions of the respiratory system and will be introduced to the major respiratory organs and their functions. The process of respiration is explained in terms of the exchange of gases that occurs during internal and external respiration and the regulators of respiration are discussed.
pH balance: gives the student the opportunity to learn the concepts of pH, including acid–base balance. Metabolic and respiratory types of imbalances will be compared and contrasted.
Upon completion of this module, the student will be able to:
- Discuss the generalized functions of the respiratory system.
- List the major organs of the respiratory system, and describe the function of each.
- Compare, contrast, and explain the mechanism responsible for the exchange of gases that occurs during internal and external respiration.
- Compare, contrast, and explain the mechanisms responsible for the exchange of gases that occurs during internal and external respiration.
- List and discuss the volumes of air exchanged during pulmonary ventilation.
- Identify and discuss the mechanisms that regulate respiration.
- Discuss the concept of pH, and define the term acid–base balance.
- Define the terms buffer and buffer pair and contrast strong and weak acids and bases.
- Contrast the respiratory and urinary mechanisms of pH control.
- Discuss compensatory mechanisms that may help return blood pH to near-normal levels in cases of pH imbalances.
- Compare and contrast metabolic and respiratory types of pH imbalances
Readings and Resources
Complete reading assignment, chapters 14, and 19, Thibodeau, Gary Structure and Function of the Body14th ed.2012. Elsevier Mosby. St. Louis.
Review Respiratory System, Acid Base Balance
Listen to audio review (chapters 14 & 19) on under student resources.
Review terms on http://freenursetutor.com/ (Respiratory System and Acid-Base Balance)
- Complete readings and viewing of videos
- Complete Assignment - Respiratory System and Acid-Base Balance
- Complete Exam - Respiratory System and Acid-Base Balance