Legal and Ethical Responsibilities
This module focuses of the legal aspects of practical nursing as outlined in the Nurse Practice Act. Ethics are the rules of conduct that are based on what is considered morally right for a particular group. Ethics are voluntary and may be subject to disciplinary consequences by a regulating agency as set forth by the professional group. Critical thinking and understanding of a situation is necessary in order to make a meaningful ethical decision. Some of the influences of your ethical behavior are your personal values, culture, and past experiences.
Upon completion of this module, the student will be able to:
- Identify the components of the Nurse Practice Act
- Practice within the role and scope of the job description
- Follow policies and procedures affecting the health, safety, and well-being of patients
- Follow legal guidelines in charting
Reading and Resources
Review the Nurse Practice Act as it applies to practical nursing scope of practice (Florida Nurse Practice Act).
Complete the reading assignments chapter 3, deWit, Susan C. Fundamental Concepts and Skills for Nursing, 4th Edition. W.B. Saunders Company, 2014.
- Complete readings and review
- Complete Assignment - Legal and Ethical Responsibilities
- Post in Discussion - Legal and Ethical Responsibilities