In this unit of study, you are guided in defining mental illness and mental health. The relationship of mental status has a profound effect on physical health. The effects of anxiety and the defense mechanism used to cope must be understood. The nurse has a significant role in the care of clients with ineffective coping skills
Upon completion of this module, the student will be able to:
- Respond to emotional needs of patient and family.
- Discuss coping mechanisms as seen in the performance of healthcare.
- Differentiate between mental health and mental illness.
- Recognize signs and symptoms of the various mental health disorders.
- Discuss treatment modalities for the various mental disorders.
- Recognize the potential for suicide attempts in the depressed person and initiate appropriate intervention.
- Describe treatments and resources for the addicted client.
- Describe drug seeking behaviors.
- Identify an individual in crisis and describe appropriate interventions.
- Describe the enabling personality in mental health and addictive treatment.
- Correlate Maslow’s Hierarchy with both physical and mental components of health.
Reading and Resources
Please read the following pages: Chapters 2 and 12
deWit, Susan C. Fundamental Concepts and Skills for Nursing, 4th edition. W.B. Saunders Company, 2014.
Review psychiatric terms on http://freenursetutor.com/
- Complete: Readings and Resources
- Complete: Bio/Psych/Social Support Assignment
- Exam: Pre and Post-Operative Care and Bio/Psycho/Social Support
Last modified: Friday, 26 August 2016, 1:23 PM